We’ve reached the end of twenty-doz, and I hope every last one of you was able to “get it” all year long. It seems like a thing I do is address you guys on holidays, and my calendar tells me that New Year’s is one of those. I remembered that I should probably write something as I was in the middle of setting up a wireless router for my grandparents. It was pretty internet-heavy, and this whole endeavor we call “The Nation” also exists on the internet. I’m pretty sure you can draw the same line I did. So, as soon as I was done, I hopped in my truck and headed to the nearest Buffalo Wild Wings, as is tradition with my people. And by people, I really just mean me… it’s a thing I do a lot when I write. By the way, I’m not inside the Houston city limits right now and I forgot that smoking is still allowed in all bars around here. It’s the fucking worst, you guys.
I guess people are making all kinds of resolutions or whatever around this time. While sitting here I brainstormed a short list that I feel we, as a site, should strive for. Keep in mind that I may be about to assign things to members of our fine company without first consulting them. So, you know, deal with it. Also, this whole list is right here after the break.
- Keep up our podcast consistency. We’ve been doing a pretty good job of this so far the last several months. I love doing the podcast and it honestly upsets all of us when we can’t do it. I’d also like to take this opportunity to ask you all what you think. Is there something more we can bring to the table during the podcast that would prompt you to tell more friends and family to tune in? Is there something you just plain want to see? Let us know. We can’t adapt to you guys if we don’t know what you want. We’re relatively versatile and intelligent guys. There’s not much we can’t tackle.
- Comics… like WTF? We know, we’ve been terrible about getting these out more often. Javi gave a few of the reasons back in this post. I think another reason why this happens sometimes… at least for me, is going to be covered in resolution #3. So, just keep reading. We want to make more. We’ve written more. We’re going to do better if I have to call Javi during every last waking our that he’s not working and ask if he’s working on the comic. Oh yeah, that resolution 3 thing? It’s coming any second now…
- Stop worrying so damn much. There are a lot of ideas around here that fizzle before they start because we’re afraid that everybody will hate them. I know there are ideas that Javi and Gabe probably haven’t even brought up to myself or each other because they’re afraid it will be stupid or something. The fact of the matter is, we don’t know if something works until we try it. Right now I want nothing more than to put together a multipart video series going through the creation of a farm in Funky Barn. But, I keep stalling because it could be the worst thing ever on the internet. It could also be awesome and funny, but nobody really thinks about that when they’re worrying. It’s the horrifying failure that weighs so heavily on our fragile psyches.
- More Videos. I feel like a lot of this should be on my shoulders. I deeply enjoyed making our MechWarrior Online and Primal Carnage videos. I really want to do more of those and get better at it.
- Pay Gabe. Ha… no, not really. Unless…
- Make a little money off this thing. Maybe that sounds selfish, but we honestly do put a lot of work into this site. We’re actually a registered business in the state of Texas. Did you know that? It’s registered under GONcast, LLC because some other company, who will remain nameless, wouldn’t let us use something ever so slightly similar to their name. Seriously, naming this thing was the hardest part, and we can assure you that the one we settled on was far from the first choice. Anyway, it’s a harsh reality that money is a necessity, We would love nothing more than to do this for 40-60 hours a week instead of our other jobs. We would have so much more for you. But, we also need to eat and have roofs over our heads. I’m hoping that if we can really start to deliver on things listed here, it will make it easier for you to part with a little of your money to show some love for what we do. We’ve even started to consider a sort of “subscription” service. I put that in quotes because it would be 100% voluntary. Everything you normally get would, of course, remain free. But, it would be another way to show your support, and we’ve already discussed a few ideas for member bonuses. Not only is it a way to support what we do, but it’s a good way to really feel like part of the “inner circle” of The Nation. You’d be our favorites, but don’t tell those other freeloaders.
So, there are just a few things I wanted to say. I was going to add “Kidnap Robert Khoo,” but I wasn’t sure how our legal department would feel about that. We’ve really appreciated your support in 2012. We love each and every one of you who has written in or hit us up on Twitter. Even if you’ve been critical of things we’ve done, that’s 100% ok. We never intended to agree with everybody all the time. We do this because you’re watching. We do this because it’s fun and we like interacting with all of you. But mostly, we do this for the pussy. SO MUCH PUSSY.